Project Location: Willis Tower, 233 South Wacker Drive, Chicago, Illinois
ESD had the rarest of all clients — itself — when it moved its corporate headquarters into the iconic Willis Tower across the entire 53rd floor and part of the 54th floor.
The firm laid out four goals for the project:
- Relocate ESD’s staff of 280 to the Willis Tower and create a connected workplace that attracts and retains top talent.
- Incorporate noteworthy engineering elements, optimal space plan, certifications, ergonomics, cost-sensible furniture, and office systems in a space that fosters innovation and learning opportunities.
- Optimize controls and energy efficiency to improve productivity.
- Meet ESD’s budget and corporate expectations for sustainability and energy efficiency based on industry-leading initiatives.
Our approach incorporated several elements. We initiated a comprehensive ESD 5X approach to drive integrated, forward-thinking solutions. We implemented ESD’s Intelligent Building platform to drive better experiential outcomes and controllability. We developed systemic strategies, such as Enlighted lighting control system. We purchased more than 90 percent Energy Star equipment and appliances. And DW Hammer leveraged vendor relationships to gain the most favorable pricing available to help our budget.
The result? ESD achieved a number of positive outcomes, including:
- The new workplace enhances competitive advantage
- It contains one of the industry’s first Fitwel certifications, which optimizes occupant comfort and satisfaction
- LEED v4 CI Silver certified
- Earned WELL Health-Safety Rating, an evidence-based, third party-verified rating that signifies the measures we’ve taken to support the health and safety of our employees
- Integrated design and pricing expedited the schedule by three weeks
- The budget was met and a 20% energy reduction achieved