ESD Mission Critical Facilities Group was selected over eight other nationally renowned data center design firms for the design of JRM Technology’s new data center.
The new Greenfield data center will house over 120,000 sf of raised floor (at 150 watts per sf) and be supported by 40 megawatts of power. The facility is being designed as a Tier III data center (pursuant to the Uptime Institutes Tier Identification method) and will house 36-2500 kW generators. In addition, the facility will support 40-750 kVA UPS modules and over 6,000 tons of cooling.
The facility is located at 111 East Cermak, which is within a block of the Lakeside Technology Center at 350 Cermak, which was also designed by principals of ESD. As an important element for the approval within the City of Chicago Zoning and Planning Committees, ESD developed a “Noise Abatement” study which provided recommendations to reduce the generator noise within the near-by residential communities. Concepts were submitted to the Neighborhood Development Committees and approval was given to move forward with the data center construction project.
Key components of the JRM Technology data center include:
- Six-story building at 50,000 sf per floor
- 40 megawatts of power
- 36 - 2500kW diesel generators
- 40 - 750kVA UPS modules
- Tier III design for concurrent maintenance
- 6,000 tons of chilled water
- 500,000 gallons of back-up water
- 600,000 gallons of fuel
- 175lbs per sf floor within RAF area and 350lbs per sf mechanical areas
- Hardened structure
- Dual fiber entrances from multiple carriers
- LEED® Silver Compliance (2009 version)
- Green Roof System