Navy Pier is Illinois’ number one tourist attraction. Nearing its 100th anniversary in 2016, the pier is undertaking a major planned renovation. The first phase of the project includes the interior renovation of the first and second floor public spaces, retail, and food court spaces of the Family Pavilion, a space that is considered an essential income generator for the pier. The renovation of this space focuses on the expansion of the food court’s seating area and includes reconfigurations of the retail spaces to accommodate an expanded IMAX theater lobby, the development of a new merchandising plan for the food court, and reconfiguration of the vertical circulation between the first and second floors.
Another component of this project was a technology infrastructure systems analysis to focus on how the technology systems could enable and enhance the user experience. And as the space attempts LEED CI-Retail v2009, ESD is also providing LEED MEP documentation services.
Since 1991, ESD has contributed to various other design projects at Navy Pier, including:
- Reconstruction of major power and telecommunication infrastructure, lighting, and emergency / life safety systems
- Design of the 440-seat, six-story IMAX theater
- Design of the 75,000 sf, seven-story Shakespeare Theater
- Fire protection consulting services and review of architectural drawings for HVAC code compliance for the Children’s Museum
- Design of the 25,000 sf WBEZ broadcast facility
- Renovation of Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville bar and grill